What is an employment specialist?
An employment specialist is someone who specialises in enabling people with disabilities to find relevant employment through matching them to suitable positions.
Why should someone with a disability be referred to an employment specialist?
- Employing people with disabilities is a highly specialised field, requiring an in-depth knowledge of the disabilities themselves, benefits, employment law, diversity, discrimination, as well as the world of business and many other areas.
- Individuals are given the opportunity to move on from current services to enable them to meet their vocational needs.
- Employment specialists encourage greater co-operation between services.
- These services are often accessible at no cost.
- Employment will usually provide substantial benefits to an individual in relation to their self-esteem, self-confidence, health and well being.
How do I refer someone to a local employment service?
There are many specialised local services which will take referrals; see the Local/National Services & Support links on the Contacts page where referral details are listed.
How do I know if I am being referred to the most suitable service?
By contacting the local services on this site, you will be able to determine which are appropriate. They will signpost you to the most suitable one(s) if you are still having difficulty.
Where do I get employment-related advice?
When accessing a service, are there any problems which can occur with sources of funding such as joint funding?
Generally this is not a problem and many employment services will even work together to support an individual. Occasionally it is possible that service users may not be able to access more than one service with the same funding stream e.g. European Social Fund.